Bartle Hall’s Green Team
As a family-run business, we take our responsibility to our local environment seriously and we are committed to working in a safe, clean and environmentally-friendly way. To this end, we have formed our very own Green Team! Comprising of staff members from departments across the business, our Green Team generate and implement new ideas and working practices to make the most of our beloved environment.
& BOOK ONLINE
The Green Team’s mascot is Bartie the Squirrel! Bartie leads all of our green-themed activities and we’re sure that he’s going to be a hit with both younger and older guests alike.
Join Bartie on his Woodland Walk and follow a series of pathways through the woodland to discover all the different species of trees in our beautiful grounds. On each tree of interest, you’ll find a secret door at its base and behind each door, you’ll discover all the fascinating details and history that surround the tree. We also have a couple of top-secret places that Bartie has suggested, where you can stop, take a rest and soak up the atmosphere of our wonderful woodland.
You can also explore Bartie’s Rockery Garden. Originally a private garden created for the Birley family who were the original owners of the house, this gorgeous garden is 150 years old and is the perfect place to stop for a picnic or just relax and admire the scenery.
Green Tourism Business Scheme
As part of our commitment to all things green, we are a proud to be a member of the Green Tourism Business Scheme and we currently hold a Bronze award based on our level of achievement to date. Businesses opting to join Green Tourism are assessed by a qualified grading advisor against a rigorous set of criteria, covering a range of areas, including energy and water efficiency, waste management, biodiversity and more.
Our Environmental Policy
Our goal is to run our business in a way that has the least amount of impact on the environment as possible.” Andrew Haworth, Director
Our commitments toward the environment include:
- Complying with the Government’s environmental legislation and approved codes of practice
- Continuously seeking to improve our environmental and social performance
- Reducing chemical consumption and waste
- Reducing the use of energy, water and non-recyclable materials
- Raising awareness, encouraging participation and training employees in sustainable business practices
- Communicating with suppliers and contractors for similar environmental standards and ideas
- Assisting customers to use products, services and travel in an environmentally sensitive way
- Liaising with the local community to raise environmental awareness
- Minimising of risks associated with social and environmental issues
- Limiting the noise within and around the site
- Increasing the use of recyclable and renewable materials
- Implementing new practices to increase wild life population
What we have achieved so far:
- We have installed a large proportion of low energy and long life light bulbs
- All heating and hot water system are regularly maintained and set at optimum comfort and energy consumption levels.
- We recycle paper, cardboard, glass, batteries and cooking oils.
- We have formed a Green Team which investigates and initiates ways to reduce energy and wastage from hotel operations and to increase recycling.
- We use local tradespeople and companies for property maintenance and operation
- We are a member of the Green Tourism Business Scheme
If you have any suggestions about how we can become even “greener”, we would love to hear from you.
Being a Green Visitor
At Bartle Hall Hotel, we are aware that making smarter choices can help reduce negative effects on the environment. As a guest, we ask for your help in becoming a more environmentally friendly business.
Here are some tips to help you become a greener guest:
- Please switch off the lights when leaving your room
- Close windows when the heating is in use
- Only use the amount of water required when boiling the kettle
- If charging electrical equipment, please unplug once charged
Give the car a rest
- Leave the car behind, if only for a day
- When at Bartle Hall Hotel with colleagues, share a vehicle
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Please leave any cardboard, glass or broken electrical items by the bin in the bedroom for housekeeping to recycle
- Please use water wisely
- Turning the tap off while brushing your teeth saves water
- Have a shower instead of a bath Respect
- Use footpaths responsibly
- Help us to look after the wildlife and landscape by not littering