Bartle Hall Hotel. An elegant manor house steeped in history
Nestled within sixteen acres of beautiful landscaped gardens, our country house hotel enjoys an enviable location right in the heart of the Lancashire countryside.
Steeped in history, Bartle Hall started life as a single house but in 1991, it was transformed into the fine country house hotel that you see today.
& Book Online
Standing off Lea Lane in Bartle, one of the four quarters of the ancient township of Woodplumpton, the site which Bartle Hall sits upon is known to have existed as far back as 1600. The earlier building which was flat roofed, covered with lead and had a small tower, was originally named Sammy Field House.
A Liverpool merchant by the name of Thomas Cowband lived at the hall in 1714 with his two daughters, Elizabeth and Rebecca, and his two sons Richard and John.
From 1745, the hall became known as Leach Hall
After the death of the new owner, Robert Haydock, in 1820, the Preston bailiff, John Troughton, greatly extended the hall during 1822–23 and planted more trees in the grounds.
Around 1830, the house was extended to provide a large west wing.
The significantly named Thomas More inherited the hall in 1849 and sold it five years later to Charles Birley. Almost immediately it was named Bartle Hall by his family whose fortune was based on mill ownership around Kirkham. Charles Birley readily assumed the role of country squire and throughout his time at Bartle Hall was renowned for its social calendar and especially the annual horse racing event which took place in the now extensive grounds.
In 1922, Bartle Hall became the property of William Joseph Walmsley, a Preston cotton manufacturer. He and his American wife, Mary Cary Pyke, the daughter of a businessman from West Water, Virginia, regularly opened their estate for garden parties. The garden parties are as well-remembered as the sleek black chauffeur-driven car with its monogrammed ‘American Lady’ doors.
William out lived Mary by five years and upon his death in 1963, the 376-acre estate was considerably reduced by the sale of the tenanted farms. However, Bartle Hall retained its present sixteen acres of woodlands and gardens.
In 1984, Bartle Hall was offered for sale with grounds extending to sixteen acres. The house was described by agents as dating back to 1730 and being substantially constructed in handsome Georgian-style of brick with stone dressing and a slated roof.
Peter and Andrew Haworth purchased the Hall in April of 1991. Breathing another chapter into the life of this elegant mansion, Peter and Andrew embarked upon a journey to create the fine country house hotel is enjoyed by so many people today.
2016 - present
In 2016, Andrew and his wife, Nicola, became the new owners of Bartle Hall. Committed to offering the very best in setting, atmosphere, hospitality and food, Bartle Hall is proud to hold a reputation as one of the original and most impressive relaxed luxury country house hotels in Lancashire, and the ‘go to’ venue for weddings and special events.